Function of the Central Wholesale Market
- Collection: A wide variety of produce in vast quantity from all over the country and from abroad is gathered.
- Fair pricing: Price are determined by auction as a basic rule, which means the price will be reasonably determined as the highest bid price will be the price of the goods, reflecting the day's supply and demand of the goods.
- Distribution: Produce gathered is divided into smaller quantities and sizes and sold to a number of stock purchasers.
- Sound settlement of accounts: Payment of charges is made quickly and properly under a fixed rule.
- Reduction in distributing costs: By buying and selling goods in large quantity at one place, transportation and other costs incurred in distribution can be reduced.
- Providing information: Prompt information on what and how much farm produce and marine catch are delivered in the market, as well as on the wholesale prices on the day is valuable, avoiding confusion.
- Hygiene inspection: Hygiene checks on the goods are conducted by the Sanitation Inspection Station, and also guidance are given to the dealers to adhere sanitation standard, as required. We are making efforts in maintaining that foods are checked in reliable conditions, and also in keeping the market facilities clean and sanitary.
People who work in the market
The wholesalers sell by auction the goods that the producers have consigned to them. Their commission is fixed by municipal ordinance at 5.5 percent of the wholesale price for seafood, 8.5 percent for vegetables, 7.0 percent for fruit, 3.5 percent for meat, 9.5 percent for flowers and so forth. The wholesaler in the market must get per mission from the Minister of Agriculture, Foresty and Fisherrise.
Intermediate wholesalers sell goods purchased form the wholesalers at their own shops to buyers including stock purchasers, who come to the market. To do business as intermediate wholesalers, he must get permission from the Establishment authority.
The retailers and supermarket agents, who usually buy goods from the intermediate wholesalers in the market, may purchase directly from the wholesalers at auction as the same as intermediate wholesalers, if they get approval from the Establishment authority.
Traders of market-related goods.
There are traders to sell market-related goods such as knives, boots, and packing materials, and also, restaurant and transport agents are housed in the market.
Such businesses are permitted by the Establishment authority.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government has established 11 Central Wholesale Markets, in order to assure the fresh foods transported to the market are delivered to the consumers in safety, at reasonable price, and promptly. The government administers the construction of markets, maintenance and management of the facilities, giving directions and supervising the handling, according to the Wholesale Market Law and Ordinances.