5-2-1 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku
- Handling List
Fruits, Vegetables, Fish
Fish / Feb 11, 1935
Fruits, Vegetables/ Feb 11, 1935
- Lot area
So well known, it has become synonymous with the wholesale market.
[Please Observe the Following when Visiting Tsukiji Market]
In conjunction with the recent boom in the popularity of Tsukiji the number of tourists, including foreign visitors, paying a visit to the market is increasing. Experiencing the vibra Tsukiji market presents a great opportunity for learning about the functions of the central wholesale market and the current perishables distribution system, but the both the wholesaling and reselling areas are busy places during the early morning hours.
Various problems have arisen in association with the increased number of tourists (including sanitation management problems such as temperature control issues caused by the entry and exit of large numbers of unauthorized persons, and problems with visitors impeding the auction and other trading activities), especially at the early morning auction held in the tuna wholesale area. For these reasons, tourists are not allowed to enter the wholesaling areas which are especially crowded. But visitors can watch the auction only in the designated area in the Tuna Auction Area from 5:00 am to 6:15 am. In the auction area, please defend posted notes and follow the directions from guards not to disturb the market activity.
Since the market is very busy with trucks, forklifts, and small vehicles moving about, guests are asked to be especially careful and vigilant when they visit. Public guided-tours of Tsukiji Market are only available for groups of students (elementary school, junior and senior high school) and reservations may be made from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. There are no public tours for other visitors or in other time periods.
If you visit the market we ask that you observe the above stated rules. Your cooperation and understanding regarding this matter are greatly appreciated.
Precautions when you visit Tsukiji Market
There is no dedicated walkway for visitors in Tsukiji Market. Therefore,please follow all the instructions below.
1. Pay extra attention to traffic. The market would be very crowded with tracks and small
2. Watch out as you walk through. There are many places you may easily slip and fall.
3. Smoking is strictly prohibited besides designated areas with ashtray.
4. Do not bring anything dangerous as well as animals.
5. Be sure to accompany a helper as you enter the market on wheelchair.
6. Such people are not allowed to enter the market:
- Person with a infant or stroller
- Person with inappropriate shoes like flip-flops or high-heels
- Person with big luggage
7. Tokyo Metropolitan Government would not be responsible for any incidents happened
inside the market.
8. Visitor’s group should be no more than five people. Group of more than five would
distract traffic in the market.
9. Tourist guiding activity is prohibited.
Visitors' Rules for the Tuna Auction Observation at the Tsukiji Market
- Number of Visitors
Up to 120 visitors per day (On a first-come, first-served basis.)
※ Only people who came to the Center are registered(one can register only for him/herself). No reservation on telephone in advance.
- Visitors Registration
- (1) Registration Place: 1st Floor of "The Fish Information Center" (By the Kachidoki Bridge entrance).
- (2) Registration Time: From 5:00AM.
※ If there are many people waiting in line, registration may start before 5:00AM. (In such case, registration might end before 5:00AM.)
- Tour Times
Visitors are divided up into two groups of 60 according to their order of arrival.
- (1) First group visits the tuna auction area from 5:25AM to 5:50AM.
- (2) Second group visits the area from 5:50AM to 6:15AM.
- Precautions during observation
- (1) The wholesale area is a place for trading.Please take care not to interfere with business,and do not use flash when taking photograph.
- (2) Please do not enter the intermediate wholesaler's area before 9:00A.M. You can visit after 9:00A.M with a small number of people.